When I read the miracles that Jesus performed when He lived on the earth, I am amazed with the great power the Savior has to cure instantly physical defects that exist in the human family. At times when I have witnessed the pain and suffering of family members or friends through some physical defect or injury I say to myself, “I wish the Savior was living now, He could cure the problem and relief the suffering. He has the power today the same as when he was in the flesh living on the earth”.
Erika Lamb Tells Her Struggle
“In September of 2019, I went in for sinus surgery, and there was an unexpected complication that made me lose function in one eye. I had emergency surgery to try to fix the damaged eye, and my surgeon felt confident that it would be completely healed within three months. But those three months came and went, and nothing changed.
This experience has brought me months of mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical struggle.
This got me thinking. What do we do when we’re waiting for miracles that don’t seem to be coming and when heaven seems silent? I studied all the times Jesus performed a miracle or healed someone during His ministry. And, to be honest, I was upset at first, because every single time someone was brought to Christ, He healed them immediately.
- The woman with an issue of blood touches His robes, and instantly she’s healed. (Mark 5 in the Bible)
- The man born blind asks for healing, so Christ tells him to wash in the pool of Siloam. And in the moment he does, he’s healed. (John 9 in the Bible)
- The leper seeks to be healed, and—in an instant—he’s completely cleansed. (Matthew 8 in the Bible)
- The man who is possessed is immediately set free when Christ calls out to him. (Luke 4 in the Bible)
This didn’t make any sense to me. All these miracles were instantaneous, so how come I was still waiting on mine? It seemed so unfair. But after some pondering, the truth hit me: even though all these miracles were immediate, those who were healed had dealt with their hardships and sufferings for a long time beforehand.
- The woman with the issue of blood suffered for 12 years and had exhausted all her emotional and financial resources before her miracle came.
- The blind man knew nothing but blindness for his entire life before he was blessed with sight.
- The leper suffered the terrifying onset of the leprosy and the pain of the disease, living as an outcast for who knows how long before he was healed.
- The possessed man had been bound by the unclean spirits for some time before there was an opportunity for freedom.”
Are There Miracles Today
Today the Lord does answer prayers and miracles do happen frequently in physical, mental and spiritual healings, but they are private with individuals and families and generally are not made public. It is subject to our faith and how well we keep the commandments, but the Lord chooses the time whether in this life or in the next.
The Resurrection Brings Us a Perfect Body
In this life if we do not witness a miracle we will when we are resurrected, all of us.
We are promised that all physical and mental defects and other imperfections will be corrected in the resurrection.
“The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt. Now, this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but everything shall be restored to its perfect frame.. …that they can die no more; their spirits uniting with their bodies, never to be divided; thus the whole becoming spiritual and immortal, that they can no more see corruption.” (Alma 11: 43-45 in the Book of Mormon)
Quoted part of the article by Erika Lamb entitled “Where Was My Instant Miracle” in the Liahona Magazine, June, 2021.