No birth into mortality has ever been accompanied with such Heavenly announcements and miracles as the birth of Jesus Christ the Savior of the world! Bright stars, angels, heavenly choirs, lights and brilliant glory were all part of it.
Ancient Prophets Were Informed of the Coming Birth of the Savior
Most of the ancient prophets were shown in vision or visited by angels declaring the coming birth of the Savior.
• For example to Isaiah: Approximately 750 years before the birth of the Savior Isaiah begins to prophesy to the people. One of his famous prophesies, “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9: 6 in the Bible)
• To another ancient prophet: 600 years before the birth of the Savior, a prophet said, “And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou? And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins…And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh…and the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father!”
(1 Nephi 11: 14-21 p. 20 in the Book of Mormon)
Signs at the Birth of Jesus Christ
• Angels announce the birth: “And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (Luke 2: 9-11 in the Bible)
• Heavenly choir praising God: “And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”
(Luke 2: 13-14 in the Bible)
• A bright star in the sky: The wise men from the east said, “ Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.” (Matthew 2: 2 in the Bible)
• A day, a night and another day without darkness: On the American continent it had been prophesied that a day and a night and another day without darkness would be a sign of the Savior’s birth in the Holy Land. “And it came to pass that there was no darkness in all that night, but it was as light as though it was mid-day. And it came to pass that the sun did rise in the morning again, according to its proper order; and they knew that it was the day that the Lord should be born, because of the sign which had been given.”
(3 Nephi 1: 19 p. 408 in the Book of Mormon)
Who was Jesus Christ before He Came to the Earth to be Born into Mortality?
• Under the direction of our Heavenly Father, He created the Earth: “The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.” (John 1: 2-3 in the Bible) “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;” (Hebrews 1: 1-2 in the Bible)
Sometime after the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, He appeared to His Followers living on the American continent and said, “Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.” (3 Nephi 9: 15 p. 425 in the Book of Mormon)
In next week’s article, I will discuss why the coming of Jesus Christ and His mission was the greatest event to ever happen in all time and why it is so important to all the sons and daughters of God.
For more information on the birth of Jesus Christ call (231) 383-8359 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.